If you’ve ever experienced ongoing dizziness, vertigo, or trouble balancing, a functioning vestibular system can feel like a miracle. Dr. Steven Raunch, a Harvard Professor of Otolaryngology 1 and Vestibular Division Chief at the Massachusetts Eye and Ear, illustrates this in his TEDx Talk.
The vestibular system is the connection between your inner ear and your eyes and brain. It’s what keeps us balanced upright, and gives us spacial awareness. If there’s an issue in your inner ear, or the connection to your eyes and brain, it can lead to a host of issues including:
- Trouble with balance and walking
- Migraines, headaches
- Swaying, rocking, floating, spinning sensation
- Changes in vision, blurred vision, double vision
- Changes in hearing, tinnitus
- Otolaryngology is surgical subspecialty that deals with conditions of the head and neck. ↩