There’s nothing quite like the fresh fruits, veggies, salads and drinks that are so often paired with hot summery days! From local produce to icy drinks, summer is a great time to try out some new recipes, and maybe even use those extra daylight hours to share your favourite recipes with friends and family.
What else do we love about these recipes? They’re all easily adaptable paleo, vegan and celiac friendly!
Here’s a list of the ultimate summer recipes we love to make and share throughout the summer months!
1. Vegan chocolate covered banana pops
Looking for a healthier way to enjoy your favourite cold summer treats? We’ve got you covered! Here’s all you’ll need:
- 4 large bananas
- 4 tbsp coconut oil
- 4 tbsp cacao or cocoa powder (cacao for added antioxidant benefits)
- 3 tbsp agave or maple syrup
- 8 popsicle sticks
- Any topping of your choice (shredded coconut is out of this world)
- Peel and cut bananas in half, and push popsicle into blunt end of each banana half
- Place bananas on baking sheet and freeze for 15-20 minutes
- Add all chocolate ingredients and blend/mix until smooth
- Once partially frozen, remove bananas from freezer coat in chocolate sauce
- Add toppings of choice, and enjoy!
2. Quinoa salad with avocado and cherry tomatoes
Like the idea of this one, but following a plant-based diet? No worries! Just skip the feta and sub a half portion of agave syrup for the honey! We promise you’ll be glad you tried it.
- 1 ½ cups cooked quinoa
- 4 cups baby spinach (chopped)
- ½ cup walnuts
- 1 avocado (diced)
- 2 tbsp red onion (minced)
- 1 ½ cups cherry tomatoes (halved)
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- ½ tsp honey (or agave syrup)
- ½ tsp dijon mustard
- Freshly cracked pepper and sea salt to taste
Mix dressing, toss all remaining ingredients together and enjoy!
3. Zesty green smoothie
This recipe will make a delicious green smoothie for one! Great for mornings and afternoon pick-me ups.
The amounts and ratios are based off of personal preference. I like a bit of a ginger spice kick and lots of green as my base. Here it is:
- 1 cup of spinach
- ½ celery stalk
- ½-1 fresh juice of lemon
- ½ – ¾ apple or pear
- 1- ½ tbsp fresh ginger
- 1 tsp fresh parsley
- ¼ – ½ cup water
- Chop up each food item before blending
- Blend on high until fully smooth, and enjoy!
4. Blueberry kale salad
Talk about local goodness! Just about everything in this delicious seasonal salad can be found in our gardens — or at least our local markets!
- 3 bunches black kale (chopped)
- 1 long english cucumber (diced)
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- ¼ cup sliced/crushed/whole almonds to taste
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 2 tsp olive oil
- ½ cup chopped parsley leaves
- Salt and pepper to taste
Toss all salad ingredients in large bowl, drizzle dressing on salad, and enjoy!