As we enter the fall season, we have the urge to bundle up, bunker down and get cozy. These are all things to look forward to in the months to come, but it is important to keep our minds and bodies feeling energized and circulated. This is especially the case for those of us finding it more difficult to wake up in the autumn and winter mornings.
A simple and affordable technique to add to your daily routine, and one that I find to be helpful in battling the seasonal blues and in helping me start my day with a little more zest, is a technique called dry brushing.
This routine can have huge benefits for the body and spirit! Benefits include:
- Skin exfoliation; dry brushing has been proven to be more effective than forms of wet exfoliation.
- May stimulate the lymphatic system; our lymphatic system is responsible for filtering and destroying unwanted material from our bodies and initiates our immune responses. Very important!
- Unclog your pores.
- Increase in mental energy; dry brushing is physically stimulating.
How to do it:
- Purchase a natural bristle brush, (about the size of a hair brush,) from a pharmacy or health food store.
- Undress and stand in your bathtub.
- In long, medium pressured motions, starting at the ends of your limbs (fingers and toes,) brush towards your heart.
- Take about 10 full strokes per limb, making sure to include all areas of your body. (Due to the extra sensitivity of the face, it is recommended to brush gently and only 1-2 times a week instead of daily.)
- Dry brushing should take 3-5 minutes to include the whole body.
- Once you’re finished, turn on your shower or start your daily routine!